A buyer’s representative (or simply buyer’s rep) is a licensed real estate professional who represents prospective home buyers in their property transaction. If you’ve formalized an agency relationship, typically by signing a buyer’s rep agreement with a buyer’s rep, you can expect him or her to:
- Understand your specific needs and wants, and locate appropriate properties.
- Assist you in determining how much you can afford (pre-qualify your mortgage).
- Preview and/or accompany you in viewing properties.
- Research properties, to identify any problems or issues you should consider.
- Advise you in formulating your offer.
- Help you develop your negotiation strategy.
- Provide a list of potential qualified vendors (such as inspectors, attorneys, lenders, etc.) for other related services that may be needed.
- Keep track of all the details throughout the entire transaction—to closing and beyond.
In other words, a buyer’s rep should make your home buying experience go as smoothly and successfully as possible.
But not all buyer’s reps are equal. A buyer’s rep who has earned the Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR®) designation has made an extra effort to raise the bar, with additional training and experience in serving you, the homebuyer. If you work with an ABR®, you can feel more confident that you’ll receive the highest level of buyer-representation services.
Find a Buyer’s Rep – Directory of ABR® designees working to achieve this designation.