Close Your Eyes and Imagine Your Next Home
Buying a home is a big decision that involves thinking about many different needs and desires. In order to pinpoint your best options, your buyer’s representative will want to know as much as possible about your preferences.
In addition to discussing basic parameters (such as square footage and price range) it’s helpful to have a detailed conversation about your top priorities, in terms of features, location, and lifestyle.
These questions can help get your thoughts flowing:
1. How long do you imagine living in this home?
2. Who will be living with you (now and in the foreseeable future)?
3. Describe your ideal location (e.g., on a quiet street, with a great view, or in a walking neighborhood, etc.). Why is this important to you?
4. What style of home would you like to live in? Do you have a preferred floor plan, architectural style, etc.?
5. What interior features are most important to you? (such as space for entertaining, a home office, high ceilings, hardwood floors, etc.)
6. In terms of the exterior part of your home, what features are most important? (space for kids to play, privacy, sunny/shady, attached garage, etc.)
7. Is it essential to have convenient access to certain other amenities, such as public transportation, schools, a fitness center, an expressway, etc.?
8. Describe any need-to-have or need-to-avoid issues. (Non-negotiable requirements that can’t easily be added or modified later.)
Often, open-ended questions like this paint a clearer picture of where you want to live, as well as raising important considerations that may have been overlooked if you limit your conversations to “basics” like the number of bedrooms and baths.
Envision yourself in your new home and share your story with your buyer’s representative. It will bring you one step closer to turning your dreams into reality!